Friday, October 19, 2012

CAREER PASSION (OR LACK-THERE-OF)


Image via The Sartorialist

Do you know exactly what your career passion is? I don't. Sometimes I think that I do, but I don't. I tell people that I have a passion for architecture and fashion, which is VERY true, but how exactly that plays into my career, I do not know. I also love journalism and the english language and world history and, somewhere deep inside me, I think that if one day I can just become a professor of something at a university somewhere that would be incredible. I want to create a brand (of apparel?) and I want to have a successful and fullfilling career. As do most of us, right? So when I came across an article in the New York Times about letting go of your career passion, I immediately dropped what I was doing and read every word.

"Growing up, we were told by guidance couselors, career advice books, the news media and others to 'follow our passion.' This advice assumes that we all have a pre-existing passion waiting to be discovered. If we have the courage to discover this calling and to match it to our livelihood, the thinking goes, we'll endup happy. If we lack this courage, we'll end up bored and unfullfilled-or worse, in law school."

Ha! It's good to know that there are others out there (even people that end up writing for The New York Times), that haven't always had a clear vision of their careers and what exactly it was going to look like.

Jason Wu in his office via vogue.com

(A constant source of inspiration, Helmet Lang). 

No comments:

Post a Comment